ASH RARE BOOKS – ANTIQUE MAPS OF ALDGATE WARD
ANTIQUE MAPS OF ALDGATE WARD AT
ANTIQUE MAPS OF ALDGATE WARD
|CLICK ON REFRESH/RELOAD TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE UPDATED VERSION OF THIS PAGE|
[BLOME, Richard, 1635-1705] : ALDGATE WARD WITH ITS DIVISION INTO PARISHES. TAKEN FROM THE LAST SURVEY, WITH CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS.
[London : for A. Churchill, J. Knapton & others, 1720]. An attractive antique map depicting the eastern edge of the City of London, showing Bevis Marks, St. Mary Axe, Leadenhall Street, the eastern end of Fenchurch Street, Aldgate, Crutched Friars, Jewry Street, etc. The map is decorated with a baroque cartouche and the names of thirty-six smaller side-streets and alleys are given in a keyed index. Originally produced by Richard Blome in the late seventeenth century, the map remained unpublished until the present version appeared with the 1720 edition of John Stow’s “Survey of London”.
To purchase, call us or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting stock number 29720 – or simply click on the button
[BOWEN, Thomas, 1733?-1790] : ALDGATE WARD WITH ITS DIVISIONS INTO PRECINCTS AND PARISHES, ACCORDING TO A NEW SURVEY.
[London : R. Baldwin], 1772. A pleasant antique map of the eastern end of the City of London, showing Bevis Marks, St. Mary Axe, Leadenhall Street, the far end of Fenchurch Street, Aldgate, Crutched Friars, Jewry Street, etc. The map is decorated with the arms of the then alderman, John Shakespear, a delicate rococo cartouche and views of the churches of St. James, Dukes Place, and St. Katherine Coleman. Originally produced for the “London Magazine” in 1766, the present (slightly revised) version of the map was utilised in John Noorthouck’s part-work “A New History of London including Westminster and Southwark” (London : 1772-1773). Other maps in this series were engraved by Thomas Bowen and this would also appear to be his work.
Designed and © 2018 Ash Rare Books