ASH RARE BOOKS – ANTIQUE PRINTS OF EAST LONDON – SHADWELL
ANTIQUE PRINTS OF SHADWELL AT
ANTIQUE PRINTS OF SHADWELL
|CLICK ON REFRESH/RELOAD TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE UPDATED VERSION OF THIS PAGE|
[ENGLISH SCHOOL] : THE PARISH OF ST JOHNS WAPPING / THE PARISH OF ST PAUL SHADWELL.
[London : for W. Innys & J. Richardson, J. & P. Knapton & others], 1755. A highly attractive early eighteenth-century map – a double image with separate maps of the riverside parishes of Wapping and Shadwell. The first depicts the old sickle-shaped parish of Wapping extending north to Well Street and Neptune Street, down to the river via Nightingale Lane, and along Wapping High Street, via Wapping Stairs and Execution Dock, to Cinnamon Street, etc. The second shows the more compact parish of Shadwell, tightly packed around the church, with Wapping Wall, etc, to the south. Keyed tables give the names sixty-eight of the smaller streets, courts and alleys. Originally published in 1720, the present version of the map was produced for the 1754-1756 edition of John Stow’s “Survey of London”.
To purchase, call us or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting stock number 36761 – or simply click on the button
SHEPHERD, Thomas Hosmer, 1793-1864 : ST. PAUL’S SHADWELL.
London : J. Booth, 1819. A handsome antique print – the exterior of the original seventeenth-century church of St. Paul at Shadwell. Engraved by Thomas Dale (fl.1818-1828) from an original study by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd. Originally produced for the part-work series “Architectura Ecclesiastica Londini; being a Series of Views” (London : 1810-1823) – “the first artistically competent and exhaustive illustration of the golden age of London church building” (Adams). Below the image are several lines of text, explaining that the church was now demolished (in 1817) and about to be rebuilt.
To purchase, call us or e-mail us at email@example.com quoting stock number 36355 – or simply click on the button
Designed and © 2016 Ash Rare Books