ASH RARE BOOKS – ANTIQUE PRINTS OF ST. BOTOLPH ALDGATE
ANTIQUE PRINTS OF ST. BOTOLPH ALDGATE AT
ANTIQUE PRINTS OF ST. BOTOLPH ALDGATE
|CLICK ON REFRESH/RELOAD TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE UPDATED VERSION OF THIS PAGE|
[BOWEN, Thomas, 1733?-1790] : PORTSOKEN WARD WITH ITS DIVISIONS INTO PARISHES. FROM A LATE SURVEY.
[London : R. Baldwin], 1772. A pleasant antique map of Portsoken Ward – the eastern fringe of the City of London, taking in The Minories, Petticoat Lane, Houndsditch and Whitechapel (Aldgate High Street). The map is decorated with a prospect of St. Botolph Aldgate and a delicate rococo title-piece. Originally produced for the “London Magazine” in 1771, the present (slightly revised) version of the map was utilised in John Noorthouck’s part-work “A New History of London including Westminster and Southwark” (London : 1772-1773). Other maps in this series were engraved by Thomas Bowen and this would appear also to be his work.
To purchase, call us or e-mail us at email@example.com quoting stock number 33555 – or simply
PEARSON, William : ST. BOTOLPH ALDGATE.
London : H. Setchel & Son, 1810. A handsome antique print – an early nineteenth-century view of St. Botolph Aldgate, with the charity-school founded by Sir John Cass to the left. Engraved by W. Preston from an original drawing by William Pearson (fl.1798-1813). Originally produced for the part-work series “Architectura Ecclesiastica Londini; being a Series of Views” (1810-1823) – “the first artistically competent and exhaustive illustration of the golden age of London church building” (Adams). Below the image are several lines of explanatory text.
To purchase, call us or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting stock number 35496 – or simply
Designed and © 2017 Ash Rare Books